Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Talk Like Ted

Talk Like Ted was our last MBSC Book Club read for our staff. I highlighted a few quotes below. Take the time to pick up a copy and read it if you have any interest in speaking to groups.

First off, Gallo recommends that you Find Your Passion

For me, my passion is consuming information that I can simplify to help others. This is what I’m good at, making the complicated simple. I want to learn and share what I’ve learned.

“science has shown that passion is contagious… you cannot inspire others until you’ve inspired yourself” p 17

“without saying a word, the highly charismatic individuals were able to effect the mood of the low charismatics” p 35

Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor “ I wasn’t winning the awards because my science was better than anyone else’s, I was winning the awards because I could tell a story because it was interesting and fascinating and because it was mine.” P33

“why didn’t you tell us, you never asked”. If you want to help someone, shut up and listen. P 38

“an authentic presentation requires hours of work” p76

“he’s not reading to you, he’s having a conversation with you” p 82

“the problem with most technical or scientific discussions is that the presenters fail to make their content visual, interesting and entertaining. The people who do all three stand out, get noticed…”

“there are two ways to beat the cruelty of the environment. You can become stronger or, you can become smarter. We chose the latter…” 115

“studies have shown that humorous people are seen as friendly, extroverted, considerate, pleasant, interesting, imaginative, intelligent, perceptive and emotionally stable. “ 164

EF Schumacher “any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction” p 191

“most people can spot a phony. If you try to be something or someone your not you’ll fail to gain the trust of your audience.” P241

“ I wish you success”. Luck has little to do with your success… p248

Use pictures, quotes, videos to enhance your presentation and avoid wordy slides. That was the biggest take away for me. Although I use lots of quotes and videos I can definitely get into the “wordy slide” thing.

I am really trying to see how many slides I can replace with a single picture. It’s tough.

Enjoy the book.

41cHCO92TOL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_

 

Talk Like Ted

 




from Michael Boyle's Strengthcoach.com Blog http://strengthcoachblog.com/2015/12/01/talk-like-ted/
Visit Us At:

ScottsdaleSportsMedicine.net

Scottsdale Sports Medicine

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment