Thursday, June 12, 2014

Handicapping the Perform Better Summit in Providence

Here we go again. I think this is the sixth year I have written my Handicapping the PB Summits posts. The bad part about ever having done this is that people expect it every year. On June 13th- 15th over 1200 coaches, trainers and therapists will once again experience the best in education for strength and conditioning, rehab and fitness professionals. As I say every year, if you don’t get to one of these seminars you are making a huge mistake. The biggest complaint from attendees at a Perform Better Summit continues to be about the inability to see all of the speakers. It’s always tough for me too but, just like you I have to choose.


Here are my recommendations on a session-by-session basis. These are the same ones I will send to my staff tonight:


*Every year I say the same thing. I will almost always choose lectures over hands-on. I’m coming to learn, not to get a workout. I may go to a hands-on but, not to get a workout. I’ll go to a hands-on to get “hands on” experience with techniques but, not to get a workout. Save your workout for another day and get some knowledge to help your clients and athletes.


PS-Please accept my apologies if I don’t recommend you as a presenter. It’s not personal but, I have to help people choose.


Friday June 13th


9:15- Easy decision. Mark Verstegen. Still one of the best speakers in the field. Don’t miss this.


10:45- Not an easy decision. If you missed the MBSC Winter Seminar go see Bill Knowles. His hands-on is the exception we talked about in the beginning. If not, take in Thomas Myers lecture. The Anatomy Trains author is always worth listening too.


1:15- After lunch, you get to make the first of what will be many tough decisions. Gray Cook or Dan John? Probably depends on your profession. Strength coach? Maybe listen to Dan. Rehab, AT, PT, listen to Gray. You won’t be disappointed either way.


2:30- Bill Knowles will quickly become a name you hear a lot. This year he gets a tougher draw opposite Stuart McGill. Both are from the sports med world so I might call this a toss up. If you saw Bill at MBSC or a PB One Day Seminar definitely go hear Stuart.


4:15- Another exception to my “no hands-on” rule. Go listen to Stuart McGill talk backs. I think everyone should hear Stu every chance they get. I actually like all four choices in this slot and you can’t go wrong but, you asked for a recommendation.


5:30- No idea who the Special Guest is but the last few have been awesome. PS- FREE BEER at 6:30.


Saturday June 8th


8:00- Saturday at 8 is a no-brainer. Come to my lecture. If you already heard me at a one of the One Days, go listen to Eric Cressey.


9:30- 10:45- This is a really tough slot. Alwyn Cosgrove is always good, as is Charlie Weingroff. My staff will be getting a great hands-on with Nick Winkelman. (another hands on exception)


11-12:15- Stuart McGill actually lectures twice so you have two chances to hear him. I’d also suggest you attend my hands –on. We’ll cover all of the changes we’ve made to our MBSC warm-ups as well as talk a little breathing.


1:30-2:45- Another toss up. I think any of the four will be good. I’ll let you make your own choice here.


3-4:15 – At 3, pick by your needs? Nutrition? Chris Mohr. Personal development? Todd Durkin. Programming? Alwyn Cosgrove. Rehab? Charlie Weingroff.


4:35- Q+A. Get your questions answered at the end of the day, great opportunity. I’ll be there for this so keep your questions brief. There is lots more “socializing” to do.


Sunday June 9th


8- Small change on Sunday. I’ll be speaking in Don Chu’s place on Functional Exercise Progressions from FSC5. Sherri Walters will be talking pelvic floor and Brandon Marcello and Ingrid Marcum will be doing hands-on. Four pretty good choices to get you up early on Sunday.


9:30-10:45- At 9:30 Todd Wright and Greg Rose ( two of my favorites) go head to head in the lecture halls while Sheri and I do hands-on. Pretty good Sunday. I think we’ll see lots of people go the distance this year.


11- 12:45- The weekend ends the way it began with tough choices. You would need to come three times to see everything you want. Two good hands –on sessions with Todd and Greg and two good lectures? Once again, you can pick based on your interests?


Hope my recommendations help again this year.








from Michael Boyle's Strengthcoach.com Blog http://strengthcoachblog.com/2014/06/12/handicapping-the-perform-better-summit-in-providence-3/

Visit Us At:

ScottsdaleSportsMedicine.net


Scottsdale Sports Medicine


via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment