Thursday, June 26, 2014

Handicapping the Perform Better Summit in Chicago

Here we go again. Round 2 for 2014 coming up. The Providence Summit is over and now we are on to Chicago. This weekend (June 27th- 29th) between 800 and 900 coaches, trainers and therapists will experience the best in education for strength and conditioning, rehab and fitness professionals. Providence was amazing and you can expect Chicago to be the same.


As I say every year, if you don’t get to one of these seminars you are making a huge mistake. The biggest complaint continues to be about the inability to see all of the speakers. I spoke to at least one person in Providence who had already registered for Chicago.


Here are my recommendations on a session-by-session basis.


*Every year I say the same thing. I will almost always choose lectures over hands-on. I’m coming to learn, not to get a workout. I may go to a hands-on but, not to get a workout. I’ll go to a hands-on to get “hands on” experience with techniques but, not to get a workout. Save your workout for another day and get some knowledge to help your clients and athletes.


PS-Please accept my apologies if I don’t recommend you as a presenter. It’s not personal but, I have to help people choose.


Friday June 13th


9:15- Tough decision. Mark Verstegen is out at the World Cup. Denis Logan subs for Mark and I’m sure you’ll get a great talk. My choice, the legendary Al Vermeil. Wisdom and experience are in short supply and this guys has a ton.


10:45- Not an easy decision. If you missed the MBSC Winter Seminar go see Bill Knowles. At the same time is Lee Taft. Two really good choices.


1:15- After lunch,John Blievernicht gets the toughest draw of the seminar. Bill Knowles hands on is excellent. I always want to see more of Al Vermeil and to top it off, Gray Cook lectures. Good luck. Three headed coin anyone?


2:45- If you work with athletes, go to Lee Taft’s hands-on, trust me. If you are in the rehab world catch Craig Liebenson’s lecture


4:15- Is a toss up. I love to listen to Thomas Plummer, Lee Burton is always good. I’d be interested in seeing Craig Liebensen’s hands-on?


5:30- Al Vermeil gives the keynote. Al is loaded with stories and with wisdom. Don’t miss this one. PS- FREE BEER at 6:30.


Saturday June 8th


8:00- Saturday at 8 is a no-brainer. Come to my lecture. If you already heard me at a one of the One Days, go listen to Eric Cressey.


9:30- 10:45- This is a really tough slot. Alwyn Cosgrove is always good, but, I’m going to have to recommend Sue Falsone’s lecture. It is always one of my favorites every year.


11-12:15- I’d suggest you attend my hands –on. We’ll cover all of the changes we’ve made to our MBSC warm-ups as well as talk a little breathing. Robert Dos remedios’s lecture was great at the 1 day seminar so if you already heard me, go there.


1:30-2:45- Another toss up. I think any of the four will be good. I’ll let you make your own choice here.


3-4:15 – At 3, pick by your needs? Nutrition? John Berardi. Personal development? Todd Durkin. Programming? Alwyn Cosgrove. Rehab? Sue Falsone. Sue’s hands-on might have a slight advantage in my mind? I’m a huge Sue Falsone fan and only get to see her once a year.


4:35- Q+A. Get your questions answered at the end of the day, great opportunity. I’ll be headed for the airport but there is lots more “socializing” to do.


Sunday June 9th


8- Two good lectures to start the day. Evan Osar is always interesting regardless of topic. If it was me, I’d hit newcomer Brett Klika’s talk. I love Brett’s enthusiasm.


9:30-10:45- At 9:30 Michol Dalcort and Emily Spichal lecture. I have heard great things about Emily so seeing her would be my first recommendation. However, I also love to listen to Michol. Although I don’t always agree with Michol he always makes me think? Bit of a toss up.


11- 12:45- The weekend ends the way it began with tough choices. You would need to come three times to see everything you want. Two good hands –on sessions with Michol and Emily and two good lectures? Once again, you can pick based on your interests? Ed Thomas is always great to listen to? Knowing our history is still important.


Hope my recommendations help again this year.








from Michael Boyle's Strengthcoach.com Blog http://strengthcoachblog.com/2014/06/26/handicapping-the-perform-better-summit-in-chicago-3/

Visit Us At:

ScottsdaleSportsMedicine.net


Scottsdale Sports Medicine


via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment